Monday, May 25, 2009

Why did the Woodcock Cross the Road?


Woodcock Crossing Road
Originally uploaded by Jason Means

Why did the Woodcock cross the road? I haven't the foggiest clue. But I thought I'd share a shot of this very elusive creature. I've been trying to get a shot of this goofy looking bird for several years now, not so much as for profit, but more just to prove that I had seen one. They're pretty rare in our area of the world, and even harder to photograph. They're small, flush quick, are perfectly camouflaged and faster than lightning. Needless to say, I'm pleased.

3 comments:

Elijah Goodwin said...

Cool shot Jason and I love the title. Have you ever seen/heard their spring flight display?

Jason Means said...

Eli, I've flushed a couple of these little guys before, at first thinking they were a grouse, but once in flight it's hard to miss that big snoot. To date, I've yet to hear one make a single peep or do anything other than run away from me.

Elijah Goodwin said...

Sometime we'll have to get together in February/March (early spring) and I'll take you out to a good display spot. They have an amazing flight display where the male sits on the ground peinting (say peint in a nasally voice and you'll sound just like a woodcock), then the male launches himself skyward and spirals to the ground while making this beautiful twittering song and the modified primaries on their wings twitter in the wind. He spirals down over the course of a minute and lands exactly where he took off from and immediately begins peinting again as if nothing has happened. If you get a bunch displaying in one area, it can be quite the show.