Thursday, April 9, 2009

On The Way To Work This Morning


Pileated Woodpecker
Originally uploaded by Jason Means

My morning drives are usually uneventful. Like most drivers, I'm just content avoiding traffic and getting to work on time.

But, just a few hundred meters from my house, while I was coming down Sutherland Drive, I watched this big Pileated Woodpecker swoop right in front of my vehicle and land in a tree next to the road.

Thankfully, I had my camera sitting in the passenger's seat and was able to get a few grainy images of this elusive bird. Not the best shot in the world considering available light and framing, but this is bird that I've been wanting to get a shot of for years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anytime you want to photograph Pileateds, just set up on my deck. I have at least two pair pretty much all year round. They are especially busy at my suet in the late Spring, and always bring the new ones. The suet is on a tree only 10 feet from my deck, and the birds get used to human movement by June.