Friday, November 28, 2008

Downy Woodpecker


Downy Woodpecker
Originally uploaded by Jason Means

I have several suet feeders at my house, but don't normally get many woodpeckers. However, the suet log at my Dad's house gets plenty.

Unfortunately due to the season, his feeders are usually back or side-lit most of the day, so lighting each shot tends to be a challenge.

Fill flash is of course the best measure, but tends to limit my time with each bird to only one or two shots at most sense the flash firing scares them away.

This particular shot is still back-lit a little heavier than I would like, but I was able to reflect some natural light back towards the subject with a piece of white poster board. This way I could take multiple images of the birds without scaring them off.

No comments: