Saturday, August 9, 2008

Rufous-Sided Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus)


Rufous-Sided Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus)
Originally uploaded by Jason Means

I've been on a bird kick as of late, and I'm not exactly sure why. I've had a fascination with birds from an early age, starting all the way back when I used to bird with Harvey and Anne Shreve. But only in the last few years have I started "birding" and paying more attention to the details and mannerisms that make each species unique. I can at least contribute that to my photography, because I realize how important the details are to my success.

Recently, I also had a friend share with me a really great birding magazine called Living Bird, which is published by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. It's a quarterly publication that has not only some really wonderful articles, but fantastic photography.

One of their contributors and photographers is Marie Read, who's work I'm just fascinated by. She's been photographing and documenting birds for over twenty years, and her images are just unbelievable.

Seeing work like hers is just a big reminder to me that I've got a long way to go, and a whole lot left to learn.

No comments: