Monday, May 12, 2008

The Sheriff is Near.... The Sheriff is Near...


Barack Obama in Charleston, West Virginia
Originally uploaded by Jason Means

It never ceases to amaze me how many parallels there are between one of my favorite candidates, Barack Obama, and my all time favorite movie - Blazing Saddles.

For those of you unfamiliar with this Mel Brooks cult classic, I highly recommend it for your viewing pleasure. In short, it's about a hick town that's being fleeced by a shady land baron, Hedley Lamar. To further his cause and get rid of the town folk, he sends Sherriff Bart, a savvy black urbanite "that's darker than any Indian" and so infuriates the town's people that his shear presence makes them hostile. As Bart slowly wins the hearts and minds of the town's folk, he becomes their greatest hope in saving the town.

Barack Obama reminds me so much of Sheriff Bart, willing to win over West Virginians with savvy and kindness, rather than slinging muck like his opponent. I so hope this Democratic race will be over soon so Obama's efforts can be fully focused on beating John McCain in November.

No comments: