Saturday, January 12, 2008

Now That's What I Call Camouflage


Ruffed Grouse
Originally uploaded by Jason Means

A late evening stroll in the woods after work on Saturday turned out to be a pretty good safari. I've been aching to get a decent shot of a ruffed grouse for some time now, and today my ship came in.

Usually these rascals bolt off the ground like a missile and all you typically hear is the sound of their wings beating the wind. By the time you hear them flush, they're already a mile away. However, this particular grouse decided to strut his stuff for a few minutes, which gave me a small window of time to change my lens and snap off a few shots before he darted over the hill.

I think the ruffed grouse is absolutely one of the most well camouflaged Appalachian creatures. Their feathers blend in so perfectly. Needless to say, today was a good day.

No comments: