Sunday, December 9, 2007

Sunday Walk in the Woods


Jack-O-Lantern Mushrooms - HDR Image
Originally uploaded by Jason Means

For several months now, I've roamed the woods on my Sunday walks in search of these unbelievably colorful mushrooms. I'd almost given up all hope in seeing them this year since the snow has already been flying several times. But, a warm streak rolled in and brought these little beauties out of hiding.

The Jack-O-Lantern Mushroom (Omphalotus illudens) is one of the most colorful mushrooms in the world, and on a dull wet day, they stick out like a sore thumb. I spotted these little lovelies shiny bright and almost tripped over myself trying to rush over to them, afraid they might get up and run away before I had a chance to take any pics.

Patience is not one of my strong points, but persistence is...

No comments: